Monday, March 26, 2007

The first run of the rest of my life

I am completely exhausted today. This weekend was very busy and I am feeling the effects of only six hours of sleep last night. This morning I ran my first morning run; the first of the rest of my life. I was surprised to find that I was able to run the majority of the mile without having to stop and walk.

Bronwen woke me up at 5:21am for her morning feeding. I fed her and we cuddled for ten minutes and then she went back to bed and I went out to run. It was about 5:45am when I set off down Willowbrook towards Lindley Park. The sky was still dark and the air was bracing. It felt wonderful. I was energized.

The park was very dark and I had a hard time seeing the sidewalk in front of me, so I ran in the street. When I got back home I stood in the front yard and stretched and felt so alive. I remembered this feeling. It takes me back to high school and those sports camp mornings in the fall. The classic autumn in Connecticut, the roadways lined with birch and elm, the morning mist listing in the meadows. The air tasted the same this morning as it used to taste after our three mile run for soccer practice.

No comments:

Blog Archive